Veenker Memorial Golf Course is a premier
public golf facility owned and operated by the Facilities
Planning & Management department at Iowa State
University. VMGC was established May 12th, 1938 by George F Veenker, former ISU
Athletic Director and Football Coach. Mr. Veenker had the idea to build a golf course on
the ISU campus. He envisioned, and set in motion, a course to be built by the Works
Progress Administration. Originally, a Perry Maxwell design, VMGC has since become one of
the most talked about, demanding, challenging and penalizing golf courses in the Midwest.
Veenker offers a full range of golfing activities for the enjoyment and benefit of Iowa
State students, faculty, staff, friends of ISU, and the City of Ames.
The mission of The Veenker Memorial Golf Course is to provide a
championship golf facility for Iowa State students, faculty, staff and friends of the
The Veenker Memorial Golf Course operation will strive to provide:
- supervised golf under positive and favorable
circumstances to the greatest number of people at a reasonable cost.
- the best possible turf conditions, playing
conditions and operational services at a reasonable cost
- the best possible customer service to all
current and potential patrons of ISU and Veenker Golf Course
- an ongoing dedication to the positive promotion of the game of golf
VMGC and/or staff are members of: USGA, IGA, NGF, GCSAA, IGCSA, PGA
Clubhouse Manager: Tess Balsley 294-9493
Golf Course Manager/Superintendent: John Newton, C.G.C.S. 294-3126
Head Golf Professional: Greg Dingel 294-1523
Golf Outings Welcome!
We invite your group to choose VMGC as the
site for your next outing. Veenker is a great choice for the popular bestshot format. Play
your first shot "safe" and the rest of your group can go for it! You can be
assured of quality service, a friendly staff and an excellent golfing experience. Our
staff will strive to make your event enjoyable and memorable. Contact Tess Balsley to set up your special request event today!
- 18 Holes of Championship Golf
including daily fees, 10 round cards, and season passes.
- Practice Facilities
including 2 tee areas, 2 putting greens, and 1 sand bunker.
- Rental Equipment
including golf carts, pull carts, practice balls, clubs and rental lockers.
- Professional Instruction
including singles, groups, camps, and clinics.
- Golf Shop
- Snack & Beverage Bar
including hot dogs, brats, nachos, chips, fruit, assorted candies, cakes,
and nuts. Coca Cola soft drink products, coffee, hot chocolate, juices and
beer - draft and canned.
- Outdoor Gathering Area
Available at Your Request
- Scorekeepers, rules officials, special events (long drive, etc.)
- Gift Certificates
- Tee Prizes
- Extra Beverage Carts
- Outdoor Pavilion (for registration, awards presentations, meals, etc.)
- Use of non-metal spikes is required.
- All golfers must register in the clubhouse before they play.
- Groups are limited to no more than four players.
- All golfers must have their own clubs.
- All golfers should observe proper golf etiquette.
- Absolutely no personal beverages are permitted on the premises.
- When using golf carts, no more than two people are permitted on a cart
at one time.
- Play should be completed in a maximum of 2 hours and 15 minutes, per
- An adult must accompany juniors under the age of 12.
- When making the turn form #9-#10,
players are allowed a short (6 min.) break.
- Use of range balls on the golf course is prohibited.
- The golf course is not to be used for any other purpose than the game
of golf. As a safety precaution, walkers, joggers, bikers, etc. are not
allowed on course property.
- The management reserves the right to prohibit use of the golf course by
individuals who are found to continuously break course rules or destroy
- All players are expected to help maintain the course at its best by
replacing divots, repairing ball marks on greens, raking sand traps after
use, and disposing of waste in containers provided.
- State law prohibits smoking in the clubhouse facility.